*For all 7th grade English assignments and tasks, please refer to my Google Classroom link.
Junior High English Language Arts Syllabus – 2020 – 2021
Course Overview: This class will introduce you to many thought-provoking pieces of literature and nonfiction and will provide you with the opportunity to engage in rich discussions and enjoyable activities around our readings. It will also build upon your ability to write clearly, with depth and passion, while strengthening your understanding of grammar and conventions. Writing is an essential academic skill as you move toward high school, college and beyond. Throughout the year, you will strengthen your vocabulary, which in turn, will help you become a more effective reader and writer. In this class, you will come to see the power that language has!
Textbooks & Resources:
- Collections (Print & Online)
- Close Reader
- Vocabulary Workshop
- IXL Grammar Online Program
Tests / Quizzes 40%
Independent Reading 5%
1) Grammar (including IXL), Greek & Latin roots and vocabulary lessons are integrated within the reading and writing curriculum and begin many daily lessons. Students can expect quizzes or tests in these areas once or twice per month.
2) Students are expected to use their Collections textbook (print & online) to complete reading tasks. Each student will receive his/her own Close Reader workbook and will complete assignments in this throughout the year.
3) Thorough note-taking during grammar, writing and literature discussions is required.
4) Participation in discussion is required and will be formally graded several times throughout the year. During Zoom Classes, students are required to follow behavior and participation expectations. Students can expect some project-based assessments, group & partner activities, and oral presentations.
5) Students can expect to write in a variety of ways and for a variety of purposes (i.e. descriptive/narrative, argumentative/persuasive, research/expository). At least two major writing assignments will be required each trimester in addition to several smaller writing tasks.
6) Independent outside reading is required and is worth 5% of the grade. Please see The Battle of the Books Handout for further requirements.
7) Students will read the play, A Christmas Carol during their 7th grade year and will read the play, The Diary of Anne Frank, during their 8th grade year.
8) Each year we try to attend one literary field trip to support our curriculum. Obviously, this year, a possible field trip would depend on the status of the pandemic.
7th Grade Literature Units:
Wonder, by R.J. Palacio
A Christmas Carol, play adapted from Charles Dickens
The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton
Poetry, included throughout the school year
Parts of four units from the Collections Textbook:
- Bold Actions
- Nature at Work
- The Stuff of Consumer Culture
- Guided by a Cause
2020-2021 Battle of the Books List and Book Summaries: